Whatever you call these independent contractor positions, companies like Google need to people to do them. Google itself calls the jobs "ads quality rater." These are one of the only home-based Google jobs that aren't scams. However, though Google accepts applications for these positions it contracts with WorkForce Logic to hire for them.
Other companies, some of which undoubtedly contract with Google, also hire for search evaluation positions, but most call them something slightly different.
Typically these positions are bilingual, but there are some opening for English-only search evaluators.
Termed "search engine evaluators" at this company, these freelance positions require workers to give feedback to ensure that Internet search results are "accurate, timely, comprehensive, free of spam and relevant to the search query’s intent." The evaluators must be native speakers of the language in which they are working and be knowledgeable about the Internet and familiar with a wide variety of online news sources.
Contractors in these temporary positions work four hours per day (Monday-Friday). Jobs require residency in a specific country.
Company offers additional work-at-home opportunities in translation, transcription and other bilingual jobs.
- Internet assessors who evaluate results of a web search
- Social media search consultants who express opinions on the quality of content
- Internet judges, which are similar to Internet assessor
- In-country financial consultants who monitor and document changes in regulatory requirements and national standards in a given country/market
- Online maps specialist who evaluate and improve online mapping software
Lionbridge also has work-at-home opportunities for translators.