While there is no single call center job description
because every company has different requirements for its agents in different positions, there are certain assets that a call center applicant can bring to the job. And, there are a few very basic qualifications that most every call center company would require. Home call centers often have stricter requirements than office-based ones.
Basic Call Center Job Requirements
- Must be 18 years old. Home call center companies will not hire minors, though a few office-based ones will.
- Must have a high school diploma. A GED is usually OK. Some companies may prefer some college.
- Customer service experience. Virtual call centers usually want some experience in customer service but this can be in retail or a non-phone job.
- Legally able to work in the U.S., Canada or the country in which you are residing. Home call centers that hire independent contractors may not require this. But employment call center jobs--both virtual and office-based--usually require this.
- Good speaking manner. This means good grammar, very little accent and a pleasant way of dealing with people.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check. - Home call center agents always must pass a background check (which could also include a credit check too). A few companies ask candidates to pay for these.
Additional Skills Required for Call Center Agents
These may be required by some call center companies, or they may simply be preferred. Keep in mind that the more narrow the requirements for the job the more it likely pays. See more on call center pay
- Previous call center experience
- Sales experience
- Computer skills such as an understanding of Microsoft Office, email and chat technologies
- Word processing at a certain WPM
- Bilingual skills
- Good math and writing skills
- Specialized skills, training or licensing (nursing, insurance, IT, etc.)
- Knowledge or experience in the company’s industry
- Some college or a college degree
Virtual Call Center Agent Only Requirements
- Home office (See typical call center home office requirements)
- Purchase of specialized equipment like a headset
- Ability to travel to a certain location as times
- Residency in a certain area (even for jobs that don’t require travel)
Think you’ve got the stuff to be a call center agent? Read more in this Home Call Center FAQ
. Then, check out this list of call center jobs