1. Parenting
Laureen Miles Brunelli

Are All Work at Home Data Entry Jobs Scams?

By September 24, 2013

This is a question often asked by those trying to get started as work at home moms. It seems like a great place to get going. If you've got some typing skills, why not use them to make some cash while staying home with your kids?

So what's the answer? Data entry jobs are not necessarily scams, but be very careful. Work from home data entry is a field that has been so infiltrated with work-at-home scams that it can be difficult to find a legitimate data entry job. And most legit data entry jobs are fairly low paying with really only the more specialized ones, such as transcription or medical coding, paying well. Also how a data entry job pays is important to keep in mind. They may pay on a per-piece basis, which may or may not be the best way for a data entry keyer to make a good wage.

So be wary of big promises and do your homework. First, read about work at home scams and, specifically, about data entry scams before starting anything. And do not send money to anyone for a job!

If you have been the victim of a data entry scam or if you know of one, tell us about it so the scammers don't get away with it!

More Work at Home Jobs:

Comments
October 14, 2009 at 5:58 pm
(1) Luis A. says:

I fell for the google work from home scam… I’m currently unemployed and thought I had nothing to lose with the $1.97 password and free access for 7 days. I did read the fine print and said I would be charged $69.99 if I decided to stay in the program, NOT SO! they charged my account without my knowledge as soon as I activated the password! in all it was useless info for me, it required you to make a webpage and link to other companies and post ads in forums and blogs to create traffic to your page and your affiliates and that way you would get money from them ( I doubt it). I cancelled twice online, called twice and got a refund. I thought the nightmare was over but one month later I’m checking my account and another phantom company charged me $29.95! not even the same company I was dealing with but apparently partners in crime with the other one because they got my bank info. I called and a guy said he could not do anything about a refund and to call the next day and ask for the “customer resolution center” (probably just a recording that will leave me hanging there) so I’m going to close my account at the bank and see if their fraud dept. can do anything about these thiefs.

October 26, 2009 at 12:27 am
(2) madd says:

I fell for that stupid google scam too! They activated the $59.95 from my account so fast. I barely just got the cd and they were already taking money from my account. I better not see another transaction taken from my acct. I am furious. I would not recommend google for anyone. IT’S A SCAM!!!! STAY AWAY FROM IT!

November 18, 2009 at 9:17 am
(3) Elaine says:

You give all this information – however would someone just tell me what data entry is NOT A SCAM and is the REAL DEAL!

April 28, 2010 at 9:46 am
(4) Mike says:

Nobody will tell you which ones are legit because they don’t want to share.

June 28, 2010 at 9:38 am
(5) Ranvijay Singh says:

I am totally agree with your point that not all the data entry jobs are scams but we really must be careful for that. Few days ago I read one of the post o about.com regarding data entry jobs and I was really happy to read that post because there were really few companies listed on that posts which are not known to large mass but are genuine and paying as well like “Axion”. Ezinfocenter has recently announced database requirement where people are being asked to provide business data on regional basis.

December 9, 2010 at 5:47 am
(6) prince says:

i am disagree with u. There are many companies in India which provide data entry work and they are not scams.

January 25, 2011 at 12:30 am
(7) chriscarter says:

Data entry jobs are job that can be done at home. So this is the good way to earn money but it must be done care fully otherwise mistake is possible in that sheet.

March 29, 2011 at 1:54 am
(8) candace says:

I am a single mom trying to find a real work from home job. Could someone please point me in the direction of a legit job? I honest to God cannot afford to be scamed. Please help…

April 11, 2011 at 1:27 am
(9) mike says:

Come on folks, can anybody this say which ones are for real? What in God’s name is so hard to say the one that is safe!!! Everyone has a lot of useless info…if you ask me.

April 15, 2011 at 11:54 am
(10) Dominique says:

Try west at home. go to Westathome.com they are legit. My mother works for them as an agent at home and she makes about 300 a week working part time. The only thing that they do is charge you 29.99 for a background check but only if you are offered a position. You fill out an application with your work history and do a questionare (one of those agree or disagree ones) then if you pass that they send you to a assesment and then offer you a job. However it can take up to 2months for them to offer you a job but you pay nothing unless you are offered the job. Good luck ladies

July 8, 2011 at 8:56 am
(11) Jesica says:

alpineaccess(dot)com is legitimate, I worked there for 8 months, I just got tired of phone customer service and I had issues with my phone line…

July 18, 2011 at 6:41 pm
(12) Gary says:

Lets make this simple.
If I was out for a hike one day and stumbled on a tunnel to a big cave with a box full of close to $30’000’000.00 in Gems and Gold, and then saw how heavy it was.
Would I head home and run ADS in a paper for a person with a pick-up truck to help me get the $30 million home to my place where I’ll give them a slice of the profits AFTER they have sent me $400.00-$2000.00 ?
Would I ask someone for $25’000.00 upfront to buy the big truck we need and they will get it back from the profits in the gold and gems once we cash-in as millionaires?
Would I send emails to people in Nigeria that promise them 10% of the treasure chest wealthy if they help me avoid taxes and send me $5000.00 to open a bogus Bank Account to hide the profits and then I send the $3 million later.

Or would you keep your mouth shut and just ask some close friends or relatives to help and keep it in the family???

I always ask myself why the person wants me to be so filthy rich when they must have parents or a brother/sister that they could help become rich. If the business is so good and profitable why not just offer current workers more money for more work or if they know someone with the job skills to do it.
Sorry folks, but I ask the tough question upfront as many of you should do because if the Money was so great we would see GM,FORD,APPLE,Pizza Hut and others jump into this and give-up the thin Profit-Margins after all the work and Capital risks to open the doors every day of business.

July 21, 2011 at 1:46 pm
(13) Top-Mama says:

I have such a hard time trusting these things. I mean, if I have the money to give them to start the job in the first place, do I really need that job. I’ll be honest, I’m flat broke, and I can’t afford to be scammed at all. That would just overdraft my bank account something fierce. It also really bothers me how people scam people in need like this, in this horrible economy, not knowing or caring that they could potentially get someone’s hopes up, all for them to lose every penny they have and them having a hard time getting it back, or not getting it back at all, and loosing their home, or their car, or even their kids because they can’t afford to take care of them! The world is cruel, and I am very strict about who I’m willing to look at for these “miracle” opportunities. I agree with Gary honestly. I might be a bit of an exception because I’m a very generous person, but I would only extend the money making offer to close friends, not even some relatives! It’s a sad world we live in….

August 2, 2011 at 7:42 am
(14) Angelina02 says:

Data entry job is high among people who want to get rid of those activities that take place before coming to harass the workstation, for example, are prepared for the office, waiting for a bus or taxi , office or standing in a long line of bus stand, are caught in unexpected traffic, these activities are frustrating and tedious. That’s why more people trying to overcome all these activities frustrating. Now, with their demands on companies have taken to the consideration of their labor data in the field of Internet.

September 11, 2011 at 3:04 am
(15) jason says:

I believe it all to be a bunch of B.S. A bunch of cowards and thiefes. if it was truely that easy dont you think alot more companys would be letting people do the work at home? wake up people. the internet is not a pure place. 95% of the sites are either loaded with things that will kill your pc or drain your bank account. its a sad reallity but if you need the cash that bad, get self employed and save your earnings for the future. your gonna need it.

September 19, 2011 at 11:48 am
(16) Jamie says:

It’s crazy how many people are out there to spam or try to trick other people. I had brain surgery 4 years ago, so I had always been looking for something to work from home. I never was able to find anything data entry related or anything that would generate me a decent income that would pay me for my hard work.

Fortunately, last year I met up with someone that has a child with the same brain condition that I have. She has to work from home to be there for her child, and had been working from home for the past 2 years.

I was so fortunate to find a company that was ranked A+ with the BBB, has been in business for over 25 years, and is an overall great company. Because she stopped and took the time to reach out to me, I am making it my life’s mission to do the same. I try to help out as many people as possible, because I lived through all the hardships that come from having an illness and not being able to work outside the home.

September 26, 2011 at 7:26 pm
(17) Faith says:

It really is sad how many people are falling for the data entry scam ads. Thank God I didn’t have the money to spend on them in the beginning or I probably would have spent money on the ads as well! I just wanted to offer some encouragement that there are real legit jobs out there and ways to access the info for free, without paying. Some companies do charge for legit lists, but many times you can find quality jobs without ever putting forth a single dollar. I did find a position that paid me $10 an hour…it took a bit of digging but they are out there, you just have to learn how and where to look. You definitely should always do some research before putting many into anything by checking out reviews, etc online. Happy hunting!

December 26, 2011 at 11:49 pm
(18) elizabeth says:

Uhaul hires work from home, 1800 flowers, Best Western… Lots more..

January 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm
(19) ergasia apo to spiti says:

I’m really inspired together with your writing skills as neatly as with the format for your blog. Is that this a paid theme or did you modify it your self? Anyway stay up the nice quality writing, it’s uncommon to peer a nice weblog like this one these days..

April 25, 2012 at 12:56 pm
(20) Amanda says:

Its not data entry, but selling on ebay.com is a great option for working from home. And theres no upfront fees, tests, etc etc to get started. Its 100% legit. Im a SAHM and have sold off and on for 6 years. All thats required is– a digital camera to photograph what your selling, a Paypal account (which requires a valid bank account) to receive your $, u also get a Paypal debit card so you can use your $ anywhere–paypal is also 100% legit, shipping supplies (free! from usps.com) And of course, you’ll need some items to sell. Ebay is worldwide, so your potential clients are in the billions :) Just look around your home at the stuff you don’t want/need anymore and go to ebay.com, search it, and see what its selling for. Hope that helps!!! And for those of you who are bragging on your stay at home data entry jobs, but wont reveal your employer–shame on you! why say anything at all if your not going to reveal?!?

May 12, 2012 at 12:02 am
(21) Amber says:

Jamie (19) : I really hope you read this, I too had brain surgery. I’ve been trying to work again and thought this would be my best bet given I can work from home and not have the worries of calling off because I physically not well enough to get to an office. So this just works out perfect. I’ll explain my situation more in depth if I am able to talk to you, but it gave me hope knowing someone else is going thru a similar situation! Good luck with your work. Could you let me know what agencies were legitamate? That would be such a help!!
Thanks!!

May 15, 2012 at 7:28 am
(22) Denise S. says:

Hello everyone, I work for a company that does everything from home. If you go to the site and fill out the form I will be able to send you more information about the job.

May 15, 2012 at 4:37 pm
(23) Kelli says:

I am a teacher looking to make some summer money. I get so many random emails from various Work From Home sites but…… Anyone out there have any valuable info???

July 6, 2012 at 2:47 pm
(24) jennifer says:

I would love a job to stay home more with my kids especially 2 with severe disabilities . I work 2 jobs just to make ends meet. Anyone have a legitimate work from home company to share with a struggling mom of 3?

July 10, 2012 at 10:55 am
(25) JOHN says:

@DENISE S give us to the site so that we can also the the job

August 5, 2012 at 7:22 am
(26) Roland Helby says:

I am freelancing online for last three years. Freelance jobs online has opened door for people who wants to be self employed. But I have a question. Do you think freelance jobs online should be a motivation for self employment. Number of successful freelancers are very few whose only motivation was want to be self employed.

August 19, 2012 at 7:49 pm
(27) Dallas from Texas says:

I have been trying for over 4 years to get a data entry job but in the meantime, NOTHING BUT SCAMS. There has been only a few days that I have not tried, but the others….NO! I have not given up though because I am persistent.

Dallas

August 26, 2012 at 7:07 am
(28) giri says:

Denise S. plz send me site name.

September 8, 2012 at 8:50 am
(29) yolanda says:

I tried all of that as well, Scam. But Let me tell you I do work from home with a very legit Awesome job! I work for Liveops. In the beginning it is just horrible and I got discouraged, Its a call center from home, you must pass the 2 test, 1. is a voice interview 2nd is a 50 dollar fee for a background search, then you work as a independent contractor which does mean you pay taxes. But this job works first as taking random calls from different companys. Commerical orders, examples: Infinity workout. abs circle, hair clubs for men etc……. Now the 2nd thing is they normally pay .25 per min. stick around and you get the big money offers like me, Thank God I now take calls for Allstate claims, Normally its 25 cents a minute but when they really need agents the money payed out to you can go to 28.00 a hour. Calls are back to back! Love it! in one day I worked 6 hours, i made 120. :) NO LIE!

Also other calls are Triple A, <—- good pay
Pizza hut<— so so
and allstate AWESOME!
I say any mother that works from home is jump on this cause its good money! :) Hope that helps.

September 11, 2012 at 10:38 pm
(30) Leah says:

I too work for liveops (for 2 years now) and I love the flexibility of the company. There’s no one over your shoulder telling you what to do. You can work as little or as much as you want. You just read a script. So easy!!

September 14, 2012 at 9:46 pm
(31) Zach says:

You think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and lie??

October 8, 2012 at 8:02 pm
(32) Mystery Shopper says:

Try mystery shopping. I’ve done this for about 4years and while my pay hasn’t broken the bank, I have been able to pay my utility bills. Some jobs can’t be done from home, but there are some that can.

Bestmark.com have assignments which can be done from home. They usually involve calling a company and completing a report about their customer service.

Realitybasedgroup.com is a mystery shopping company also. I made phone calls for them all day. They recorded the call and I completed a report for each call. They paid 2.00 per call for (at the most) 10 minutes. I did that for 2 years and the money really, really helped.

There are some legitimate companies out there. These two are reputable and do pay as agreed.

October 21, 2012 at 7:33 am
(33) hans says:

In these days you cant be to careful of who u give your details too, but ..if u dont try , u never find out

November 5, 2012 at 1:56 am
(34) anuj1986kumar says:

I agree that real online jobs don’t pay too much. But in my experience, the amount I get from paid surveys is enough to pay for a few expenses, and for a job that requires only a few hours a day, it’s really pretty good.

November 5, 2012 at 10:30 pm
(35) ashley says:

I am a single mom about to move from Ohio to Arizona. I am in desperate need of a job, but I don’t know anyone out in AZ that will be available during the day to watch my son while I am at work. I have been frantically searching online for a job but all I run into are scams! I can’t afford scams! I need help. :/ any suggestions?

November 13, 2012 at 3:07 pm
(36) Aisha Darrough says:

I know Arise and Alpine Access are legitimate work-from-home customer service jobs. I applyed through Arise and didn’t get scammed as far as them fishing my account, but Arise can be a little difficult because you do pay for the Arise training, and then if you get a contract like ATT, for instance, then you have to pay for their training as well. You have to make sure your computer is up to date and everything. That’s where I had an issue, I had to drop out of one of their classes because of cumputer issues. But I herd of it through a friend that was doing it, and she says it is ok. I have another friend who works with Convergess…(I think that’s how it’s spelled). My issue is I am looking for moore of a data entry job. I do customer service for my day job and am looking for something to supplement my income. But google, top 3 work from home jobs. There is an article from ABC.com that talks about Arise and Alpine Access.

November 17, 2012 at 1:02 am
(37) Niyah says:

I recently received a email form a work from home ad and I spoke with the mentor and they wanted 9$ so they sent me a package now they want 200$ to go to the next step. My mentor says he made 1200 the first month and you can make up to 18,000 a month. The website is IOBS is this a scam??

November 17, 2012 at 3:29 pm
(38) from home jobs says:

Wow, nice post, there are many person searching about that now they will find enough resources by your post. Thank you for sharing to us. Please one more post about that..

November 17, 2012 at 6:41 pm
(39) workathomemoms says:

Yes, Niyah, that has all the signs of a scam. http://workathomemoms.about.com/od/workathomescams/a/spotascam.htm Please do not send money. If it were easy to may $18,000 or even $1,200 a month, then everyone would. Anything that promises a lot of money for not a lot of work is very likely a scam.

November 27, 2012 at 12:40 pm
(40) ruchi gupta says:

No, not all work at home data entry jobs are scams. I was surprised to find out that my wife works at one called OpinionValue.in. She does not make a lot of money from it though, just enough to help pay for a few things. Still, it’s a big help and it’s great since she does not even need to leave the house, and I’m kinda envious of her. If anyone from India needs money and wants a tip on how to easily earn money, I would highly suggest you try online jobs like OpinionValue.in.

January 15, 2013 at 4:38 am
(41) shyam rathore says:

A way to test if a job is a scam is to see if they leave any contact information. If there is, contact them. Before I began to work using opinionvalue.in, I searched their website for contact information and contacted them. I am glad I did and I joined their site eventually. That was a great decision since I began to earn soon after that.

February 5, 2013 at 2:35 am
(42) GOogle mom says:

Ha! Got ya. you know how these mums earn their money? Scamming other mums like you!

February 15, 2013 at 9:18 pm
(43) Starr says:

If someone says you have to pay for the “training” DON’T DO IT!! People that give you testimony that they do this from home and only had to pay the training are trying to get you into their scam.
I work from home for a legitimate automotive company but I had to work in the office and they pay you while you are in training. That is the way it should be!
If you can find companies that hire people for call centers you may find something that can eventually be from home. But you have to do the job first…yes, on site.
I now do “chat” on the company’s website. Chat and email is the way of the future. Many people that work from home work for call centers. If you are a little more motivated, I would try WTH (World Travel Holdings) but you need to have some great customer service experience to even pass an interview. They will pay while training but it is meager pay. I was offered a job there last year but took the one I have now instead. Better pay and benefits. I love my job!

March 12, 2013 at 1:11 pm
(44) MrsKSims says:

I’m curious how the date on this article is Oct 30, 2012 but there are comments dating back to 2009.

March 19, 2013 at 1:30 am
(45) Vishal Sangle says:

I was looking through the comments and I was amazed at the amount of useful tips I came across. I have experience working from home myself through the site called opininovalue.in, and I’d like to share a simple tip. If a job involves something that’s too good to be true, it’s probably a scam. For example, if they promise you a high amount of pay for a ridiculously easy job and only requires a few working hours a day, then it is most likely a scam.

March 28, 2013 at 6:47 pm
(46) Jin says:

Try http://www.Odesk.com
You dont need to pay anything.

August 18, 2013 at 10:43 am
(47) hemanth says:

Some of legitimate home based data entry job providing companies are:
AccuTran Global
Get Paid To Write
Affiliated Computer Service
Amphion Medical
AxionData Servics
Cass Information Systems, Inc.
Capital Typing
CASET Associates Ltd.
CODEMED Inc.

August 19, 2013 at 1:21 am
(48) medical transcription in canada says:

Really you deserve a round of applause for this highly knowledgeable post in this segment of medical transcription. Thank you for such an informative post.

December 19, 2013 at 1:57 am
(49) Shawna Frost says:

This is a great topic you have covered here. And the tips that you have given in this are very helpful. Theses are like amazing. As i am a BPO’s person i would like to use these to help myself in the future. Thanks for sharing. Keep writing!

January 2, 2014 at 12:48 am
(50) Ridha says:

Hi

Is this website fake or scam as some one refers me to this site

Please do reply as I am looking to work online

Regards
Ridha

January 9, 2014 at 6:33 pm
(51) workathomemoms says:

Ridha,

That has all the signs of a scam. http://workathomemoms.about.com/od/workathomescams/a/spotascam.htm

Laureen

March 19, 2014 at 5:19 am
(52) Tom Hanks says:

No,all are spam

April 20, 2014 at 8:20 pm
(53) Cathy says:

I fell for the scam of helping people build a website, was claimed to be with Godaddy.com they continued to just ask for money, they whole time I tried to build my business to sell assistance to build the websites, I was told it would be over a year before I would even make a cent, but would continue charging me money, stay away from this!

April 22, 2014 at 9:32 pm
(54) amino prime xl prices says:

Hi to all, thee contents present at this site are really awesdome for peopole knowledge, well, keep up the good work fellows.

my blog … <a href=”http://wikicars.org/en/User:JackiMEEBhdzm”>amino prime xl prices</a>